Friday, November 5, 2010

Share the Road

For one of my classes this term, we are required to do a presentation on information and control. Inspired by BCB's post on the new bike lanes in Ann Arbor, we chose to discuss bike regulation in Ann Arbor and whether the regulations make sense. While we only had a 15 minute presentation, it sparked a great deal of discussion in our class - more than the presentations on Holocaust denial or media censorship in China. I think it's because everyone in our class has either been a driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist in A2. Anyway, we are required to redo our presentation in a couple of weeks, based on our instructor's feedback, as well as our classmates' comments. Some of them suggested surveying people on the street regarding the confusing chevrons.

We are hoping to talk to some A2 City officials about the bike lanes, and I'll keep you posted as we continue researching up to our next presentation.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit I was skeptical at first. But even where there isn't sufficient room for cars to avoid running over the chevrons (most) drivers try to squeeze to the left to allow as much room for bikes as possible. Maybe the bike lanes just serve as a constant reminder to watch out for bikes.

    My biggest pet peeves regarding bikes are 1) people biking like idiots down (crowded) sidewalks. 2) people not wearing helmets. And 3) Drivers who don't yield the right of way to me and then almost run me over.

    ReplyDelete